We had a wonderful visit towards the end of our ESRM 370: Intro to Drones class this past Friday. Gainfully employed ESRM, AARR, and ESRM 370 alumni Chase Tillman and Julianna DaSilva popped on in to share their experiences and thoughts about their new jobs and the value of ESRM in preparing them for their careers in the UAV industry.
These two were chock full of great advice for ESRMers. But a few of those golden nuggets are below:
What we loved about ESRM
- GIS ~ get as much experience with coordinate systems & programmings as you can
- ESRM 370
- get your Part 107 as quickly as you can
- expose yourself to as many varied mechanical mechanisms as possibleESRM 370
- Elevator Talks
- build your confidence
- get comfortable selling yourself
- Research opportunities ~ volunteer for as many projects and be as actively involved as often as you can
- Service Learning & Research Trips
- ESRM 492: Service Learning in New Orleans
- UNIV 392: Service Learning in Costa Rica
- Santa Rosa Island Research Station
We ended their visit with our regular Friday AARR meeting. And then wrapped that up with a surprise birthday cake for Chase’s birthday! He still looks 21 to us! Thanks to both Chase and Julianna for spending the morning with us and inspiring our current students to do fantastic things.